The purpose of the Frederick H. Germann Memorial Scholarship is to provide post-secondary education scholarships. It is anticipated that one new scholarship in the amount of $1,000.00 will be awarded but the amount may increase as funds allow. Any Henry County high school graduate who is entering their sophomore year of college, pursuing post-secondary education in engineering may apply. (not open to current high school seniors).
Qualifications For Eligibility
- Applicant must be U.S. citizen;
- Applicant must be eligible for graduation from a Henry County, Ohio, High School.
- Applicant must demonstrate continued enrollment as a full-time or par-time (as defined by the institution) student at a two or four year post-secondary educational institution.
- Applicant must be at least a second year college student and accepted in an engineering program.
Basis for Selection
Scholarship recipient(s) will be chosen by a special committee of the Henry County Community Foundation based on information submitted on the scholarship application form and all attachments (as noted below).
First Priority: To graduates of high schools located in Henry County, Ohio, who are at least a second year student majoring in engineering (of any type). Recipients may apply in subsequent years for additional scholarship awards, provided he/she continues to pursue studies in the engineering field.
Second Priority: To college students who are in at least their second year, who are direct descendants of Henry Germann (1866-1941) and Catherine Emma Bahler Germann (1872-1941). Descendants do not need to graduate from a Henry County High School, or major in an engineering field. Recipients may apply in subsequent years for additional scholarship awards.
How to Apply
- Complete scholarship application form.
- Obtain and attach:
- An official copy of your most recent transcript;
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals of your choice (teachers, school administrators, employer, etc.);
- A sheet listing school, community and/or athletic activities in which you have been involved, honors you have received, offices which you have held, volunteer and employment activities, etc. during high school or beyond; and
- Brief essay (one page or less) on the topic “Why community service is important to me and what I would like to do now or in the future to serve in my community.”
- Submit all application materials online or by mail to: Henry County Community Foundation, Inc.; ATTN: Mr. Dusty Sonnenberg, 611 North Perry Street, Napoleon, OH 43545 (due or postmarked)-April 1st of the current year.
The above-stated criteria may be revised from time to time as deemed appropriate by the Board of Trustees of the Toledo Community Foundation, Inc., advised by the special committee of the Henry County Community Foundation.